Tuesday

Winter Bird Feeding

Winter is right around the corner and I wanted to do some things to help the birds along through this hard season.  Gather up your kids and playgroup friend to make this super easy and very tasty bird treat!


Feed the Birds (tune of Row Row)

Feed, feed, feed the birds
In the wintertime
When the days are dark and cold
Food is hard to find

Feed, feed, feed the birds
Till the spring has come
Scatter birdseed on the snow
Feeding birds is fun.




Living in Las Vegas makes finding pine cones a little harder then when I lived in Seattle! All three girls and I set out to find some regardless. We found tons of neat nature things to put in the bottom of Little Misses stroller. By the time we got back to the house I had 12 pine cones, a small bucket full of dandelions, several rocks, and a couple cherry blossoms.
They were happy to take a nap after we got home so I set all the goodies out in our backyard in hopes in bugs would wonder out and off our nature findings. I don't want to trap some poor spider in his home with peanut butter!

Once the ladies all awoke from slumber we started our craft:
How to make a Pinecone Bird FeederPinecone Bird Feeder Earth Day craft Letter B craft Familyfun Magazine CraftHave all your supplies ready:
Pinecone
Birdseed *I bought ours at the Dollar Store
Yarn
Scissors
Creamy Peanut Butter
Shallow Bowl
Cookie Sheet
I set out a cookie sheet so both my girls could cover the pinecone with peanutbutter easily. We did this outside on the grass which would have made a mess without the cookie sheet.

Using your shallow bowl, fill with bird seeds. Let your child(ren) roll the pine cone in the seeds. GG thought she's lick some peanut butter of her fingers and was very upset with the amount of bird seeds now stuck in her teeth! It took a couple flushings before she was satisfied they were all gone.

*I used a fresh jar of peanutbutter only to realize half way through: Eew, they are dipping a spoon several times into a fresh jar of peanut butter and smearing it onto a dirty pinecone. Not the best plan. Next time I'll put some in a tupperware container for them!




Cut off some string, I made ours 2 feet long to give me plenty of string to tie. Wrap the string around the top of the pinecone, then to a tree branch. All done! This took us from start to finish 15 minutes.

No comments:


Search & Win
  

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...